Yellow Rice with Sausage and Tomato
This dish uses saffron; but only a pinch or a few threads of what's been dubbed the world's most expensive spice. Use saffron sparingly as too much can give food a medicinal flavor. Whereas annatto seeds are sauteed in oil, saffron must be cooked in liquid like a broth. This variation was created by Pam Sorin.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1/2 pound vegetarian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup diced large tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add chile and garlic and cook until fragrant about 1 minute. Stir in broth, rice, saffron, sausage, tomato, salt and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.