Carrot Slaw with Yogurt Dressing
Choose carrots that are smooth and firm, free of cracks, and deep orange in color. If the leafy tops are attached, they should be moist and bright green, with no signs of wilting. Baby carrots, though more tender, are not as sweet as mature ones.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 small white cabbage, halved crosswise and thinly sliced (5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
In a food processor fitted with the shredding disk (or on the large holes of a box grater), grate carrots. In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, vinegar, mustard, sugar, and onion; season with salt and pepper.
Add carrots, cabbage, and dill to bowl; toss well. Top mixture with a plate that fits inside the bowl; weight with a heavy object. Let sit at room temperature 20 minutes before serving.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2004