- Servings: 4
Photography: Anna Williams
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May
- 12 small red beets (about 1 1/2 pounds), stems and roots trimmed
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives, snipped into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1/4 cup)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place beets on aluminum foil; toss with 2 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper. Seal foil, and place on a baking sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly, then peel and cut into quarters.
Place vinegar in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, pour remaining 1/4 cup oil in a steady stream until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Add beets and chives; gently toss to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature.