Grilled Chicken with Citrus Salsa
This recipe for grilled chicken with citrus salsa is the perfect warm-weather dinner.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, 1 thinly sliced, 1 diced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 dashes tequila (optional)
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small pink grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 10 yellow and/or red cherry tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Grated zest of 1/2 orange and 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh, cilantro
- 4 tomatillos, diced (optional)
- 4 handfuls of mesclun or other mixed greens
In a shallow bowl, combine 1/4 cup of each of the lime juice, olive oil, and jalapeno slices. Rub chicken with salt and pepper, add to marinade. Add a dash of tequila. Marinate for at least half an hour.
In a medium bowl, combine citrus fruit, scallions, tomatoes, remaining lime juice and olive oil, zests, salt and pepper, diced jalapeno, cilantro, tomatillos, and remaining tequila. Set aside.
Remove chicken from marinade. Cook on a hot grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from grill and let stand 5 minutes.
Divide greens among four plates. Slice chicken and arrange on top of greens. Spoon salsa over each salsa and serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June/July 1992