Chris Schlesinger's Cornbread
Use this cornbread to make chef Chris Schlesinger's Cornbread, Apple, and Sausage Stuffing.
- Yield: Makes one 8-inch pan
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for baking pan
- 1 1/2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-by-8-inch baking pan. In a medium bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine milk, molasses, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients, and mix well. Pour batter into prepared baking pan, and bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. When cool, gently run a knife around pan; unmold.