- 2 oranges
- 1 pound large shrimp, tails on, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, strings removed, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or yogurt
- Sprigs fresh oregano, for garnish
Using a citrus zester or the small holes of a box grater, zest oranges. Squeeze juice of oranges into a small bowl. Set zest and juice aside.
In a large bowl, combine half of the zest with shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook shrimp until bright pink, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil. Add onion, celery, oregano, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add orange and tomato juices; cook until liquid starts to thicken, about 8 minutes.
Return the shrimp to saute pan, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream. Add the remaining orange zest; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh oregano, and serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December/January 1998/1999