Under 30 Minutes
Arugula, Beet, and Goat-Cheese Salad
Toasting brings out the flavor of nuts. Scatter walnuts on a baking sheet; toast in a 350-degree oven, tossing once, until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole beets, drained and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges or 3 medium roasted beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 6 ounces soft goat cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces (1 bunch) arugula, stemmed and washed well
- 2 ounces (4 cups) frisee
In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, vinegar, orange juice, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Place beets in a small bowl. Pour 1/3 of the dressing over beets; toss to coat.
Place walnuts in a shallow dish. With your hands, form goat cheese into 12 equal balls. Roll balls in walnuts, turning to coat completely, then flatten into discs.
Place arugula in a large bowl. Tear frisee into large pieces, and add to bowl. Drizzle greens with remaining dressing, and toss to combine. Divide among plates, and top each serving with some of the sliced beets and 3 goat-cheese discs.