Black Pepper Cookies
- Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2005
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick), softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with rack in center. Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and salt. Beat in egg whites until incorporated. Combine flour and pepper in a small bowl; add to butter mixture in 3 batches, mixing until just combined.
Put dough in a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8-inch round tip (such as Ateco #804). Pipe 3-inch strips about 1/2 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet, keeping tip close to sheet for thin cookies. Bake until edges are golden and centers are set, about 7 minutes. Let cool on sheet 5 minutes before transferring with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.