Photography: David Loftus
Source: Everyday Food Fresh Flavor Fast, 2010
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 pound red onions, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1 pound carrots, halved lengthwise if thick, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Divide vegetables and garlic evenly between two rimmed baking sheets; drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then spread in single layers.
Roast until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, 40 to 50 minutes, tossing vegetables and rotating sheets from top to bottom halfway through. Serve hot or at room temperature.