No pucker face here. The sweet, flaky crust balances the tartness in these lemon squares.
- Yield: Makes about 3 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons, freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 7 lemons)
- 1 cup blanched almonds, chopped and toasted
Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and confectioners' sugar. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently pat into a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish, and bake until crust is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer dish to a rack to cool.
Reduce oven to 300 degrees. Whisk together eggs and granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Add lemon zest and juice, and combine. Sift in remaining 1/2 cup flour, add nuts, and stir to combine. Pour filling onto baked crust, and bake until filling sets, about 40 minutes. Refrigerate until well chilled before slicing, 1 hour and preferably overnight. Dust with confectioners' sugar, slice into pieces with a sharp knife, and serve.