Tomato and Corn Tabbouleh Salad
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August
- 1 cup bulghur wheat
- 3 cups boiling water
- 6 ears corn
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, or to taste, minced
- Juice of 4 limes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, cut in small pieces
In a bowl, cover bulghur with the boiling water. Let stand 45 minutes. Drain well; return to a bowl. Set aside.
Place corn on cutting board, and, using a sharp knife, carefully cut kernels from cob, taking care that the corn does not roll as you work. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add one-third of the corn, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until corn is caramelized and golden, about 7 minutes. One minute before the corn is done, add one-third of the minced garlic, and mix with the corn. Transfer corn to a baking pan to cool. When corn is finished, deglaze pan with a little lime juice; stir, using a wooden spoon, to loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add to corn. Repeat with remaining corn 2 more times. Set aside for corn to cool.
Combine bulghur with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, tomatoes, remaining lime juice, mint, parsley, and chives. Add corn; mix well. Chill 30 minutes before serving. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.