Vanilla Bowl Cake
Use this recipe to make our Sea Turtle Ice Cream Cake.
- Yield: Makes one 10-inch cake
Photography: Kirsten Strecker
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Summer
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 4 1/2 cup (7 1/2 inches in diameter) oven-proof bowl. Dust with flour, and tap out excess. Sift cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Add egg and yolk, the milk, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until almost combined. Mix in melted butter. Raise speed to medium; mix 30 seconds.
Transfer batter to prepared bowl. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in bowl on a wire rack 30 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen; invert and unmold. Let cool completely on rack.