Eggs Baked in Toast
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- 8 slices bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (1 1/2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter or your fingers, make a hole in the center of 4 slices of bread. Butter one side of the remaining 4 slices.
Place the 4 buttered slices, buttered side down, on a baking sheet. Top with the slices with holes in the center. Break 1 egg into each hole, keeping the yolk intact. Cover with tomatoes, bacon, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake until cheese has melted, and the egg is set but slightly runny, about 15 minutes. Be sure to check frequently, as the eggs set quickly.