Martha's Favorite Egg Salad Sandwich
This simple egg salad sandwich is a healthy -- and delicious -- lunch choice.
- Yield: Makes 6
Photography: not applicable
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, January 2006
- 10 hard-boiled egg whites
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 avocado, mashed, plus 1/2 avocado roughly chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Boston lettuce, arugula, and tomato slices (optional)
- 12 white sandwich bread, such as Pullman, sliced about 1/2-inch thick, toasted
Using a pastry blender or fork, mash together egg whites and yolks in a large bowl; carefully fold in avocado. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
Place 6 slices of bread on a work surface. Evenly divide egg salad among bread slices. Add lettuce greens or tomato, if desired. Top with remaining 6 slices bread. Serve.