These tomatoes make wonderful additions to sandwiches and pasta sauces, or can be served on their own as a side dish with fish or chicken.
- Yield: Makes about 24 slices
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 1996
- 8 large tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons coarse or sea salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, chervil, sage (optional)
Heat oven to 250 degrees. Slice tomatoes thickly, to yield about three slices per tomato. Eat or discard the ends. Place slices on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
Mix together salt, pepper, and sugar. Brush tomatoes with olive oil, and sprinkle a large pinch of salt mixture on each tomato. Sprinkle on herbs, if using.
Roast the tomatoes for 3 hours. Or roast for 2 hours, turn off oven, and leave overnight.