Creative presentation can turn classic cocktail shrimp into a gruesome Halloween hors d'oeuvre.
- Servings: 10
- 2 3/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cooked
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepared cocktail sauce, for serving
Arrange shrimp in a 6 1/2- to 7-cup brain-shaped mold with tails facing upwards in vertical rows.
Fill a glass bowl with 1 2/3 cups cold water; sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, cook gelatin mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin has dissolved. Whisk in lemon juice, horseradish, salt, Old Bay, and cayenne pepper until well combined.
Pour gelatin mixture over shrimp in mold. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down on the surface. Fit a plate into mold and weight with cans. Refrigerate until set, about 5 hours. Invert mold onto a serving platter; serve with cocktail sauce.