Veiled Farm Girls
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2003
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce, chilled
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, for garnish
- Rose petals, for garnish (optional)
In a medium nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Add the breadcrumbs, sugar, and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove from heat; set aside.
Divide half of the applesauce between four glass bowls. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, and top with whipped cream. Repeat with remaining applesauce, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, and whipped cream. Reserve remaining breadcrumbs for another use. Be sure that the last layer is whipped cream to "veil" the dish. Sprinkle with nuts and rose petals, and serve.