Roasted Beet and Tomato Puree with Orange
Orange juice and plum tomatoes brighten purply-red beets and balance out their earthy flavor.
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, quarteredand seeded
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds trimmed medium red beets (about 4 1/2 pounds with greens)
- 4 teaspoons fresh orange juice
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss tomatoes with thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread in a single layer on half the sheet. Toss beets with 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Wrap beets in parchment and then foil, and add to baking sheet. Roast until beets are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly. Peel beets, and coarsely chop.
Puree tomatoes and beets in a food processor in 2 batches, then combine. (Puree can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated; reheat in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.)
Just before serving, stir in orange juice, and season with salt.