Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon Salad
This delicious heirloom tomato and watermelon salad recipe is courtesy of Laurent Tourondel.
- 1 piece ginger (3 inches long)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry-wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups heirloom tomatoes, quartered or cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Thai basil, chopped plus whole leaves, for garnish
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chervil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled into large pieces
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, for garnish
- 1 small spring onion, very thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1/2 ripe avocado, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1 radish, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
Grate ginger on the large holes of a box grater. Wrap ginger in a lint-free cloth and squeeze over a medium bowl to extract juice. You should have about 2 tablespoons.
Whisk ginger juice, along with olive oil and vinegar, until well combined; season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, watermelon, chopped basil, and red onion and gently toss until fully coated; season with salt and pepper. Let stand 30 minutes.
Transfer tomatoes and watermelon to a serving bowl. Gently fold in chives, chervil, and parsley; spoon over any remaining marinade. Sprinkle with cheese, and garnish with celery leaves, spring onion, whole basil leaves, avocado, radish. Drizzle with mustard oil; serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2008