Apricot and Berry Tart
The apricots and berries provide most of the sugar you need for this tart.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1998
- 6 apricots (about 12 ounces), pitted and cut into eighths
- 3/4 cup assorted berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream (optional)
Heat oven to 400 degrees, and have ready an ungreased 8-inch tart pan with removable bottom. In a medium bowl, toss together the apricots, berries, and 4 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, cornmeal, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla; pulse until dough begins to come together. Press dough into tart pan; set pan on a baking sheet. Bake until golden and slightly puffy, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Using a spatula, gently flatten bottom of crust.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Arrange fruit in crust. Bake 30 minutes; sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar. Bake until apricots are juicy and tender, about 15 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Remove tart from frame; serve with whipped cream, if desired.