Rosemary Balsamic Marinade
This goes remarkably well with steak.
- Yield: Makes 3/4 cup, enough for 2 pounds of meat
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Needles from 6 rosemary sprigs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic, and pepper in a nonreactive bowl. Scatter half the rosemary in a shallow nonreactive dish; arrange meat on top. Cover with marinade; rub gently into meat. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary. Cover; refrigerate for amount of time indicated below, turning meat occasionally.
Before cooking, remove meat from refrigerator and let it come to a cool room temperature. Wipe off bits of garlic or rosemary; discard marinade. Season with salt and pepper; cook as desired.
•Shellfish: 20 minutes
•Cheese, tofu, and vegetables: 30 minutes
•Thin and flaky fish fillets: 30 minutes
•Thick and fatty fish fillets: 1 hour
•Beef, chicken, game, lamb, and pork: 6 to 24 hours