These crispy fritters are an excellent side dish.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Anna Williams
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2001
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh or dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 head frisee, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut eggplant in half; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place in oven; cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven; when cool enough to handle, scoop flesh into a strainer to drain. Transfer drained eggplant to a bowl; add garlic, parsley, bread crumbs, Parmesan, egg, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Form mixture into 2-inch patties.
Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Place frisee on serving platter; drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top with fritters.