Use this frosting on our Chocolate Cake.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and brought to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 2/3 cups (7 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
Combine egg yolks, evaporated milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Add butter, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl.
Stir in vanilla, salt, coconut, and pecans. Let cool completely. Frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day; bring to room temperature before using.