Pureed Broccoli Soup
This recipe for pureed broccoli soup is from the January/February 2008 issue of Everyday Food.
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2008
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets, stalks peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Season with salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add broccoli, potato, broth, and enough water (4 to 5 cups) to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer until broccoli and potato are tender, about 20 minutes.
Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree broth and vegetables until smooth. If using a blender, work in batches and fill only halfway, allowing heat to escape: Remove cap from hole in lid, cover lid firmly with a dish towel, and blend. Transfer to a clean pot as you work. Adjust soups consistency with a little water if necessary. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.