Chickpeas and Tomatoes
A sprinkling of fresh mint turns a simple side into a superstar.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May 2004
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 halved and thinly sliced large onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves; season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion begins to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add 1 can chickpeas (15 1/2 ounces), drained and rinsed, and 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice. Simmer until thickened but still saucy, 6 to 8 minutes; remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper; stir in 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint.