Red Cabbage With Apple
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small head red cabbage, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until browned, 10 minutes.
Add onion; cook until soft, 5 minutes.
Add cabbage, apple, vinegar, and 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring, until cabbage wilts, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat to desired softness (if sticking, add water), 45 minutes to 1 hour.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2003