Our recipe calls for light molasses. These days, however, most labels don't specify the type, but light and dark molasses can usually be used interchangeably. And we suggest using unsulfured molasses (any type), which has a purer flavor than sulfured.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, September 2006
- 1/2 cup light unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 slices bacon, halved crosswise
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine molasses, ketchup, and mustard. Add beans, and season with salt and pepper; mix to combine.
Transfer to a 2- to 3-quart covered baking dish. Scatter onion over beans; then lay bacon slices on top, in a single layer, covering onion as completely as possible.
Cover dish and bake, 30 minutes. Uncover; cook until bacon is crispy, 30 to 40 minutes more. Let sit 5 minutes; mix well before serving.