Fresh Italian Dressing
Italian is adaptable; try it with sweet lettuces, such as Bibb, and bitter chicories, such as radicchio. Key ingredients include olive oil, vinegar, and herbs.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/3 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2005
- 2 small garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
Whisk garlic, sugar, mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, the red pepper flakes, and vinegar in a medium bowl. Whisk together oils; add to vinegar mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Whisk in herbs; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.