White Bean Soup with Sausage and Collards
You can keep everything you need for this dish on hand -- sausage and collards in the freezer, canned beans, onion, and vinegar in the pantry.
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen bulk sausage, thawed and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped collard greens, unthawed
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed, and slightly mashed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar (optional)
- 8 slices toasted French bread (optional)
Cook sausage and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until fat renders, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes more. (If bottom of pan starts to burn in spots, sprinkle with water and scrape up blackened bits.)
Add collard greens, beans, and 4 cups water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Adjust consistency of soup with water, if necessary. Stir in red-wine vinegar, and serve with toasted bread slices, if desired.