Back-Pocket Chocolate Cake
This crowd-pleaser is a no-fail, can't-miss recipe that every baker should have in their back pocket.
- Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water, about 110 degrees
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a large 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Stir in eggs, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until smooth, about 3 minutes.
Spoon batter into cups. Bake until cake tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in tin 10 minutes. Unmold; let cool completely on wire racks.