Creamy Broccoli Soup
Broccoli is at its peak from October through April -- that's the best time to puree it in a soup like this one.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2004
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, florets separated, stems peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add nutmeg; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
Stir in broth, 1 1/2 cups water, oats, and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
Puree soup in batches, filling blender halfway. Return to pot. Season with salt and pepper.