This great recipe for shrimp stock is courtesy of Emeril Lagasse.
- 1 pound (about 8 cups) shrimp shells and heads
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
Place shrimp shells and heads in a large colander and rinse under cold running water.
Place all ingredients in a heavy 6-quart stockpot. Add 4 quarts water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, skimming surface occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, continuing to skim surface occasionally.
Remove stock from heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve set over a large bowl; let cool completely. Refrigerate stock up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container, up to 2 months.