Smoky Roasted Potato Soup
You can use andouille sausage or chopped cooked bacon in place of the chorizo in this hearty soup.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2010
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 pound small red potatoes (any larger ones halved or quartered)
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 3 ounces dried chorizo, diced small (about 1/2 cup)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, toss together peppers, potatoes, garlic, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until peppers are tender and potatoes are cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Peel garlic. Peel, seed, and coarsely chop peppers. Add garlic and peppers to a medium pot, along with potatoes and broth; season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer over medium-high. Wipe pan clean. With a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon, mash some potatoes and peppers until soup is thick and chunky.
Add chorizo to reserved pan and roast until fat renders and chorizo is crispy, about 7 minutes. To serve, add chorizo and pan drippings to soup.