Quick Turkey Tetrazzini
A breadcrumb topping goes perfectly with this creamy casserole, which combines turkey, noodles, peas, and mushrooms.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Holiday
- 2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 pound cooked turkey, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 3/4 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Ground pepper
- 1/2 pound curly egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese, and 3 tablespoons butter. Season with salt; set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, toss 1 tablespoon butter with onion, mushrooms, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover; cook 3 minutes. Remove lid; cook, stirring, 3 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl; add turkey and peas. Set aside. In same pan, whisk stock, remaining butter, and flour. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Whisk until thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, thyme, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Combine sauce, turkey, and noodles in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; top with breadcrumbs. Bake until golden and bubbling, 13 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.