Cornmeal Waffles with Apricot-Cherry Compote
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Apricot-Cherry Compote
Whisk together creme fraiche and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use (up to overnight).
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until combined. Add oil and butter; whisk until smooth.
Heat a waffle iron (preferably Belgian-style). Ladle 1/2 cup batter into each mold. Cook according to manufacturer's instructions until golden brown. Place waffles in a 200-degree oven to keep warm while you make the rest. Serve topped with compote and sweetened creme fraiche.