Under 30 Minutes
Southwestern Steak Salad
In the dressing, honey balances the lime's acidity and the chipotle's spice. Add juices from the seared steak to make it even more savory. If you prefer, you can grill the steak instead of searing it in a skillet.
- 1 pound skirt steak (1/2 inch thick), trimmed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced small
- 6 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Heat a large skillet over medium-high; cut steak into 4 pieces and season with salt and pepper. Cook 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together lettuce, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
In a small bowl, combine chile, lime juice, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Gradually whisk in oil and any accumulated juices from steak. Pour dressing over salad and toss; add steak and toss again.