- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2003
- 2 pounds yellow squash or zucchini (older larger squash may be used here), cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne, pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place squash and onion in a medium saucepan, and cover with water. Add 1 tablespoon salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well, and transfer to a large bowl.
Add 1 cup breadcrumbs, eggs, cream, thyme, 1/2 cup cheese, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and remaining teaspoon salt. Gently stir to combine. Pour into a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Spread remaining 1/2 cup cheese and remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs over top. Cover, and bake until set, about 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking until top is browned, about 10 minutes more.