Ginger and Molasses Cupcakes with Whipped Cream
Most people think they need an excuse to make cupcakes. Not true. After trying these simple yet surprising batters, the only rationale anyone will really need is, well, just because.
- Yield: Makes 26
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2009
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 9 ounces (2 pieces, each 6 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and minced (1 cup)
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Ground ginger, for garnish
Make cupcakes as directed in Basic Cupcake How-To, adding molasses before eggs and using water as wet ingredient. Stir minced ginger into batter. Frost with whipped cream, and sprinkle with ground ginger. Serve immediately.