Raisin Bran Muffins
Stir up this batch of hearty, low-fat morning treats. Kissed with brown sugar, they're moist and taste more indulgent than they are.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for tin
- 1 1/2 cups raisin bran cereal
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 Preheat oven to 400. Lightly oil a 6-cup standard muffin tin, or use paper liners. In a medium bowl, combine cereal and milk; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
2 Stir oil, egg, and sugar into cereal mixture. Fold in flour mixture. Divide batter among cups (see left). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in tin 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack; let cool completely, or serve warm. Store up to 5 days at room temperature in a resealable plastic bag.