Kale and White Bean Soup
Mash the beans, and use them to thicken the broth; leave some whole for added texture.
- 1 pound kale, stems (and veins, if desired) removed and leaves washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans cannellini beans, (14.5 ounces each), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock, or reduced-sodium canned broth
- Salt and pepper
- 4 thick slices country bread
- Grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
Cut or tear the kale into 1/2-inch strips. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add about half of the beans, and lightly mash with a fork. Add water and stock, and bring to a boil. Stir in kale, remaining beans, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer until kale is tender, about 20 minutes.
Toast bread. Ladle soup into bowls, top with toast, and drizzle with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.