Under 30 Minutes
Burritos with Squash and Goat Cheese
Tailor the flavor of these burritos by picking a salsa that pleases your palate. Choose a chipotle variety for smokiness or a spicy tomatillo one for heat.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup store-bought salsa, plus more for serving
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, and cumin; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beans and spinach. Cook until warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Stack tortillas, and wrap in a double layer of damp paper towels; microwave until hot, about 2 minutes. Place tortillas on a work surface. Spoon goat cheese, then salsa in a line down center of each tortilla.
Spoon bean mixture on top of salsa. Fold side of tortilla closest to you over filling, then fold right and left sides in toward center; tightly roll up burrito. Cut burritos in half, and serve with more salsa.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2008