Stir-Fried Turkey in Lettuce Wraps
To serve the wraps as sandwiches, tuck them into a split, scooped-out baguette for a variation on banh mi.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2010
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno or serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey (93% lean)
- 2 large heads Bibb, Boston, or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, fish sauce, and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Set sauce aside.
Heat a large skillet or wok over high until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat skillet. Add shallot, ginger, garlic, and chile and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through, 5 minutes. Add half the sauce to skillet and stir until meat is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Serve in lettuce leaves with remaining sauce.