Under 30 Minutes
Hot and Sour Salad
This colorful Asian-inspired salad (including cabbage, snow peas, mint, and cilantro) gets its "hot" from ginger and chile and its "sour" from lime and grapefruit.
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 small fresh red chile, thinly sliced crosswise
For the Salad
- 1 small napa cabbage (about 12 ounces), cored and shredded
- 1/3 cup snow peas, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch matchsticks
- 2 pink grapefruits, peel and pith removed, carved into segments using a sharp knife
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves and small sprigs
- 3 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced diagonally
Make the dressing: Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, ginger, sugar, garlic, salt, and chile in a small nonreactive bowl.
Make the salad: Toss together cabbage, snow peas, bell pepper, grapefruits, herbs, and scallions in a large nonreactive serving bowl. Just before serving, add dressing; toss well to combine.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2006