Beef and Tomato Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Whole Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 wide strips orange zest
- 1 pound shallots (about 10), halved if large
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season meat with salt and pepper. In batches, cook until brown on all sides, about 12 minutes per batch. Transfer browned meat to a platter.
Return meat to pot. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, orange zest, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook 45 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in shallots. Return to oven and cook until meat and shallots are tender, about 45 minutes.
SourceEveryday Food, April 2010