Eggplant and Mint Bruschetta
The lemon juice and mint perk up the sweet, mellow flavors of the roasted veggies.
- 1 eggplant (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, quartered lengthwise, layers separated
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and slivered
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 slices crusty bread, 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, torn into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide eggplant, onion, tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons oil between two rimmed baking sheets. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Roast until eggplant is tender, 25 to 30 minutes; let cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, place bread on another baking sheet, and brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; bake until golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
Transfer eggplant mixture to a medium bowl. Add mint; toss with remaining tablespoon oil and lemon juice. Divide eggplant mixture among bread slices, top with feta, and serve.