Sausage and Kale Soup
Try serving this easy, hearty kale soup recipe as the main course of a light meal. Our soup will not only warm you up, but it will also give you the countless health benefits of leafy kale.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2004
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 5 waxy potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale (12 ounces), stemmed and shredded
- 12 ounces smoked chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch half moons
In a large pot (6 to 8 quarts), heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until soft, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook unti fragrant, 1 minute. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
In a blender, puree half the soup. Return to pot; add kale and sausage. Simmer until kale is wilted, 10 to 15 minutes.