Summer Slaw with Poppy Seed Dressing
Fennel, green beans, and poppy seeds make for an unexpected variation on traditional coleslaw.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June/July 1994
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 scant teaspoon poppy seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small bulb (about 1/2 pound) fennel
- 1/4 pound green beans, trimmed
In a small bowl, whisk together creme fraiche or sour cream, ginger, orange juice, and half the poppy seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
Peel and julienne carrots. Slice fennel bulb crosswise, as thinly as possible. Cut beans into long strips. Combine vegetables in a medium bowl and toss with dressing immediately before serving. Garnish with remaining poppy seeds.