One of the easiest ways to serve a quick, delicious dinner is to choose a recipe that combines all the elements of your meal in a single dish.
- 1 pound medium asparagus
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 small tomatoes, such as red, Green Zebra, or yellow, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 6 one-half-inch-thick slices country-style bread, crust on, torn into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Snap off and discard the tough ends of asparagus. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil; prepare an ice bath. Cook asparagus until bright green and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer immediately to ice bath. Drain; place on a clean kitchen towel.
In a large bowl, combine asparagus, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, olives, capers, and bread; toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk together red-wine vinegar and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Pour vinaigrette over asparagus mixture, and toss until well coated. Let sit until bread absorbs juices, and serve.