Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cherries
You can substitute dried cranberries or raisins for the dried cherries in this recipe.
- 3 1/2 cups cranberries (one 12-ounce bag)
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Zest and juice of one orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
Combine cranberries, cherries, shallots, vinegar, orange zest and juice, ginger, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan, and cook over medium heat until cranberries pop. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries release their juices, about 15 minutes. If the cranberry sauce becomes too thick, add water until the desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a bowl to cool.