- 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup Homemade Beef Stock, veal broth, or canned low-sodium beef broth, skimmed of fat
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 rounded cup dried mission figs, quartered
Place a medium skillet over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the oil. Add the shallots, and cook until they are softened, about 3 minutes. Deglaze with the red wine, and reduce by half. Add the broths and vinegar, and reduce by half. Add the rosemary and sugar.
Lower the heat to low, and cook until the sugar has melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the figs, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are rehydrated, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cook until the mixture has the consistency of a liquidy jam, 10 to 12 minutes. Use immediately; or cover, and refrigerate up to 5 days.